Jurupa Unified has been my home since 2005-06, when I started teaching English 9 and 11. I have since moved to teaching all tenth graders and I love it!
I have been an instructional coach in our district since 2015. I am fortunate enough to be in JUSD, where our coaching model allows instructional coaches to continue teaching several sections of their classes. We can immediately apply what we learn in our classrooms and test out strategies with our own students.
In the past two years, I have been building up a repertoire of strategies to support teachers and students. I am learning how to organize and conduct professional development workshops and trainings, and am gaining valuable experience in working with new and veteran teachers in the classroom.
Some of the trainings I have offered have included: Close Reading, Collaborative Conversations, Online Grading and Assessment, Animation, Sketchnotes, Symbaloo, and Lesson Planning. I am scheduled to present at Summer Jam on Copyright and Fair Use Tips for Educators and The Art of Lucidchart.
My specialty areas include:
- California Standards and Comprehension Strategies: close reading, text-dependent questions, and collaborative conversations
- Deconstructing a Unit of Study: Backward Mapping
- Assessment Design – Data teams, EADMS, SMART gocals, rubrics
- Step Up to Writing: Writing Across the Curriculum
- Education Technology and its application to the Units of Study
- Parent-Community involvementSome recent requests for assistance have included managing the district Haiku/Powerschool Learning system, using the gradebook, contacting parents through the InTouch System, how to use student blogs in the classroom, conducting Socratic Seminars, managing student behavior, teaching ELD students, reaching challenging students, and literacy strategies. I have assisted many teachers with planning lessons based on the Units of Study.
I look forward to working with you to support your teaching and student learning. Feel free to email me anytime at email@example.com or contact me through this blog or on Twitter @coachcollins951.